Sunday, January 10, 2016

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)

Felicia Day wrote a memoir, and it's called You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)! For those of you who don't know, Day is a well-known actress and pretty much everything else in the online and "geek" community. I picked this up as soon as it came out but never got around to typing up my review. Anyway, here it is, at long last.

(picture taken from Goodreads)

First Impression: This is a really fun book so far. Felicia Day is always kind of quirky and cute, and her book is no exception. She's naturally funny, so her humor seems like an effect of the topic rather than purposely intended. Also, she remembers things the way I do, mentioning seemingly random, irrelevant details. Yes, those are velvet hightops. Or, I had a ponytail that day. Little things stand out. I love that she makes a Santa Claus at Build a Bear for herself with a tutu and a lightsaber, and then it becomes a really awkward social situation. And her childhood and young adult years seem very strange to me, but I love that she turned all of it into something positive and is doing what she wants in life.

Conclusion: Felicia Day is someone I've admired for a while, and that was before I knew about all of the anxiety and social issues with which she's had to deal. But she works through her problems and gets the help she needs from others to keep doing what she loves. There are parts of the book that are a bit intense and hard to read. It reveals a bit about the media industry and gender issues, as well as Day's own personal anxiety issues. But mostly, You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost) is honest and funny. I'm sure that Day worked really hard on it, given her tendency to completely devote herself to her projects, but you don't notice any strain in the writing style. The tone is very conversational, and I like that she draws us into her personal world but doesn't feel the need to share a bunch of information about her loved ones. Also, if you're hesitant about the gaming references in the book, don't be. She explains quite a bit so that anyone can tell what she's talking about. And, last but not least, I love her mug quotes and random pictures with words across them! Inspiring, funny, intelligent, and well-formatted--four perfect words to describe this book.

Recommendation: If you're already a fan of Felicia Day, read this book! If not, you might enjoy the book if you like quirky memoirs about weird childhoods and achieving one's dreams.

2 comments:

  1. I do like Felicia Day, though I haven't seen her in much besides Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and this looks really cute, so I'll try to nab it at the library sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it! It's quirky and fun, but there are some meaningful lessons and ideas in there, too.

      Delete