Sunday, January 12, 2014

2013 Wrap-Up / Beginning 2014

2013 was quite the year! I got a lot of reading done and discovered a multitude of books for future reading, not to mention my son's first birthday and the biggest promotion in my career thus far! I had lots of plans for this blog in 2013 that did not come to fruition, but I am not discouraged! There is always tomorrow until there isn't, right?

As you know, I participated in two blog challenges for 2013: the Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge and the What's in a Name Challenge. Neither of these were completed, although they each brought quite a few new titles and authors to my attention, so I am satisfied with where I ended up. These were the first challenges I've taken on, and upon further reflection, I think I committed myself to too many things that did not coincide. Neither of my challenges matched-up with the books I was reading in my book club (with the exception of Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James), and my time was limited as I divided it more and more. Anyway, here are my results in those challenges:

Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge
goal: 12 entries     completed: 8 entries
Austenland by Shannon Hale
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange
Recorded Books audio version of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and narrated by Flo Gibson
Two Guys Read Jane Austen by Steve Chandler and Terrence N. Hill
Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer
1995 BBC miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle
2005 version with Matthew Macfadyen and Keira Knightley
1980 BBC miniseries with David Rintoul and Sabina Franklyn
Lost in Austen (2008) with Elliot Cowan and Jemima Rooper
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

What's in a Name 6 Challenge
goal: 6 books     completed: 2 books
1. up or down (or equivalent): The Rise of Silas Lapham by William Dean Howells
2. something you'd find in your kitchen: Bread Alone by
3. party or celebration: Masquerade by Cecilia Sternberg
4. fire (or equivalent): Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
5. an emotion: Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
6. lost or found (or equivalent): A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

For 2014, I've chosen challenges that coincide more with reading plans that I already have, so be looking for posts on those soon!

3 comments:

  1. Well, you read more than twice as many P&P-related books as I did! I read 3, and watched 1 adaptation. Which was my goal, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read quite a few, Hamlette! I also watched all of the adaptations on my list. I just didn't have time to write reviews for them, so I didn't count them as completed. Technically I did 11 out of 12, I guess. I wish I would have had more time for my second challenge, though. And congratulations on completing your goal! We have to work up to things, right?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that's why I've got pretty low goals for the three challenges I'm doing this year. And why it took me so long to decide to join the Classics Club, lol. I know just how little time I have!

      Delete