Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pride and Prejudice 2013 Challenge

I'm back! I'm not sure that many of you were faithfully reading my three posts before I stopped writing them before, but either way, I'm here and I'm more dedicated. The main reason I'm here is because I know now I will have something for you to read. After visiting the blog Austenprose for the first time this past weekend, I discovered a really cool challenge for 2013. The Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge 2013 is a celebration of 200 years passing since Jane Austen published her fantastic and most-beloved (by me) novel, Pride and Prejudice. I encourage you to follow the link...because I'm not going to give you all of the details here.

[Enter Elevator Music]

That was me waiting for you to read about the challenge. Now that you kind of understand it, I have committed myself to the Aficionada (9-12 selections) level, and I'll list what my plans are so far (you can click through to my reviews):

Books:
Austenland by Shannon Hale
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange
Recorded Books audio version of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and narrated by Flo Gibson
Two Guys Read Jane Austen by Steve Chandler and Terrence N. Hill
Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer

Movies:
1995 BBC miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle
2005 version with Matthew Macfadyen and Keira Knightley
1980 BBC miniseries with David Rintoul and Sabina Franklyn
Lost in Austen (2008) with Elliot Cowan and Jemima Rooper

Other:
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

These choices will cover my initial requirements, and if I finish those with time to spare, I will possibly add more. I'm reading lots of other books right now for my book group and my own amusement, so I will try to write a post for each of those as I finish them as well. My Goodreads goal for this year is to read at least 25 books, so that shouldn't be too hard with my current plans.

I hope some of you decide to take the challenge with me so we can compare notes and see what new books/movies/etc come to light from this experience! Let me know if you do, because I'd love to hear about your experiences in the world of Austen this year. Meanwhile, I've hit the ground running already, so look for a post from me soon beginning my experience with The Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment