Thursday, December 24, 2015

Audiobook / TBR Pile: Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer

Kid Lawyer is the first book in the Theodore Boone series by John Grisham. The son of two lawyers in a small city, Theodore Boone is well-known by the kids and adults in the area. He's always curious about what's going on around him, especially the exciting new murder trial coming up. But murder is a new depth for Theo, and he may be biting off more than he can chew by getting involved.

(picture taken from Goodreads)

Conclusion:  This was a solid read by Grisham. I haven't read any of his before, but judging by what I've heard, this is what I expected. It's for kids, but the focus is lawyers and intrigue--pretty unique for the age group. The characters were pretty interesting. The tone is adventurous without actually involving Theo or the other children in direct violence. And it ended with kind of a cliffhanger. I find some people's criticisms of the book funny. I saw one that said there's not enough action to keep kids interested. This is a really popular series with kids in my area. Also, it's more of an intrigue story rather than an adventure. One person claimed that Theo isn't relatable or realistic, which is only somewhat true. All main characters are special in some way, but the facts that he plays golf or doesn't use a cell phone every five seconds aren't what sets him apart. I did find it a little strange that classes would be separated by gender, which isn't something I've seen in public schools. Overall, this was a fun read.

Recommendation: This is a good book for kids or adults who want an intriguing boy lawyer character and a little suspense.

This is my eleventh read for the 2015 Audiobook Challenge and my eighteenth read for the 2015 TBR Pile Challenge. I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday weekend! I'll be spending Christmas with my extended family and no computer, but I'll try to update all of my blog challenges for you next week and wrap-up the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment