Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Book Talk: North and South

This will be an experiment! For a while (possibly a couple of years, but we're trying to find a way to speed it up) my friend, Jenny, and I will be reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

 (the Elizabeth Gaskell Window in Poets' Corner
of Westminster Abbey; picture taken from The Gaskell
Society webpage)

We're each going to read two chapters or so a week and have a regular correspondence on them. If you read my review of Two Guys Read Jane Austen, that book is my inspiration for this idea. We'll be reading the book at the same time, discussing about every two chapters at a time, and I'll be posting slightly edited versions of our conversations here. I encourage you to read along with us if you're interested! I'd also like to warn you now about spoilers to come. Usually, I try not to ruin books for those of you who have yet to read them, but since this discussion will be much more in-depth, I won't be able to do that. Each of these posts will be clearly labeled as spoilers in the title for those of you who would like to avoid them. I'm going to link back to this post with each chapter post as well, so you can just refer to this one if you prefer. I've been trying to think of more ideas for this blog, and I'm really excited about this--I hope you all are, too!

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I'm tempted to join in... if I can get a copy of the book. Library doesn't have it, blast them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have plenty of time. We just finished the first few chapters, and it will take us several months, as I said. So, you could always catch up later.

      Delete